Ulcerative Colitis belongs to the group of diseases collectively known as Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD). Ulcerative colitis is an idiopathic inflammatory disorder, and it usually occurs in the colon. Owing to the increasing dependence and poor prognosis, it has become clinical challenge all across the world.
The conventional treatment option for this disorder have been found to develop an adverse effect, and there is no even effectiveness in sight especially in some patient who requires aggressive therapy for recovery. Meanwhile, various treatment options for ulcerative colitis usually comes with many life-threatening side effects.
However, herbal medicines such as Aloe Vera has been introduced into clinical treatment of a host of human diseases and infections. Now, you may begin to wonder about the effectiveness of Aloe Vera as a treatment option for Colitis. Let’s get started:
Is Aloe Vera Good treatment for Colitis?
For centuries, Aloe Vera plant has risen to be the most common go-to option for treating sunburns and other skin infections. However, recent research studies have proven that Aloe vera gel can also help to improve inflammatory bowel disease and ulcerative colitis. The leafs of the aloe vera plant is made of two major part; an inner leaf pulp that is responsible for storing aloe vera gel and an outer leaf pulp that promotes the transportation of Aloe Vera latex.
Aloe Vera came into limelight due to its anti-inflammatory properties, and it is currently under the therapeutic evaluation of Ulcerative colitis treatment.
On the treatment of colitis, some researcher conducted their studies through the Simple Clinical Colitis Activity Index (SCCAI) to ascertain the severity of the colitis. A total score of 12 and above indicates severe acute colitis and requires immediate hospital admission. A score that Is less than 3 is an indication that the disease is inactive.
Furthermore, further research has revealed that aloe vera inhibits the release of reactive oxygen species. The anti-inflammatory properties of aloe vera gel have provided the evidence that the plant is loaded with many therapeutic effects on inflammatory bowel diseases.
There are numerous benefits of using Aloe Vera if you are diagnosed with Ulсеrаtivе Colitis:
- Aloe Vera for Ulсеrаtivе Colitis can also prevent cell damage with the help of its anti-oxidant properties. It helps to neutralize by removing the harmful toxins and radicals from the human body.
- Aloe Vera gel is extracted from the plant in order to utilize its benefits. A study was conducted on the use of Aloe Vera in order to prevent inflammation. The study included a group of 44 patients and each patient was diagnosed with an ulcerative colitis. Half of the patients were given a placebo and half of them were given the gel extracted from Aloe Vera. It was found out that there was a considerable amount of decrease in the symptoms of the Ulсеrаtivе Colitis in people who used Aloe Vera as compared to people who used the placebo. However, majority of the people voluntarily opted for the placebo instead of using the gel extracted from Aloe Vera.
- Aloe Vera can help deal with the growth of various pathogens that can easily have an impact on your digestive tract. It helps prevent inflammation within your digestive tract and also improves the entire process of digestion.
- Furthermore, Aloe Vera also plays a vital role as an immunomodulator in people who are suffering through Ulсеrаtivе Colitis. People who have a weak immune system are diagnosed with this disease therefore it is very important to strengthen the immune system in order to make sure that the condition of the patient is not aggravated who is suffering from this disease. It helps in fighting against harmful toxins, radicals and bacteria that are responsible in triggering the immune response.
- The anti-bacterial properties of Aloe Vera help in getting rid of harmful bacteria that can easily worsen your condition. The immune cells tend to gather near the area where the inflammation is thus making sure that bacteria and harmful toxins present are minimized rather than being multiplied.
A brief on the effectiveness of aloe vera on Ulcerative Colitis.